As every true Game of Thrones fan knows, the series was filmed on various locations in Croatia. Amongst them, we have chosen our lovely town of Šibenik to tell you a story of the towns history, natural beauties and the series itself.
Šibenik first appeared in Game of Thrones in Season 5, representing the city of Braavos. The UNESCO World Heritage Site, St. James Cathedral, represented the Iron Bank, the most powerful financial institution in the Free World.
In the series, Bravoos men are skilled sailors and swordsmen, just like the people of Šibenik, what surely added to the authenticity of the filming location. Wouldn’t you like to relive the scene in which Arya Stark follows Bravoos on the square in front of the St. James cathedral? The small fisherman’s port, Mandroč, doubled as the port of Bravoos which can be seen in the second episode when Arya Stark is entering the mercantile city-state.
To be precise, Šibenik appeared in three episodes of the Season 5 of the series: second, sevent and ninth. In the second episode, viewers can see Šibenik cityscape from the scene of Ayra Stark’s arrival in the city of ‘Braavos’. St. John’s fortress became a set for the fighting pits of Meereen scene in the seventh episode. This scene was filmed over 3 days, and airs for about five minutes. An area at the top of St. John’s fortress was set up as a fighting pit in the city of Meereen. Meereen is the greatest of three City States in the Game of Thrones’ Bay of Dragons. The Meereen fighting pits are where Jorah, as a slave, defeats a number of fighters. Daenerys and the slave owners watch on. At the end of the battles he reveals his identity and presents her with a „gift“. That gift turns out to be his fellow slave, Tyrion.
Finally, in the ninth episode we can see approximately one minute and twenty seconds of St. James cathedral doubleing as the Iron Bank. As words can not depict the full beauty of these locations, we invite you to come see them in person. For all fans of the Game of Thrones, we have prepared the following itinerary.
- 08:00 am Meeting at the St. James Cathedral
- 08:15 am City walking tour “Game of Thrones”
- 10:15 am Driving with jeeps to St. Peter’s bay
- 10:45 am Embark in kayaks at the St. Peter’s bay
- 11:45 am Kayaking through the St. Anthony’s channel (entrance in the HBO’s Game of Thrones series the town of Braavos)
- 12:15 pm Disembark near the hidden tunnel, sightseeing the old stone church, enjoy the viewpoint at Šibenik
- 12:45 pm Embark in kayaks & departure towards the St. Nicholas fortress (UNESCO)
- 01:15 pm Sightseeing of the fortress from the kayaks
- 02:00 pm Riding back to the St. Peter’s bay
- 02:30 pm End of the tour
- Requires medium light sport shape
- Sunscreen, hat and sunglasses are highly recommended. Don’t forget your swimsuit!
- Minimum number of guests is two
- Child rates apply only with 2 paying adults
- Dates of the tours are changed according to the availability of seats